29.03.2013

South West London Health Partnerships and Fulcrum unveil Nelson Local Care Centre

South West London Health Partnerships and Fulcrum achieved Financial Close on the Nelson Local Care Centre (LCC) on 27th March 2013. The Nelson LCC project Wimbledon is the redevelopment of a former hospital site in the London Borough of Merton. The new 5,600m2 building is one of number of key strategic locations for health care in South West London to enable the transfer of certain services from hospital settings to be provided closer to people in the community as part of the Better Services, Better Value programme.

The building will provide excellent new accommodation for 2 large GP practices, as well as a range of other primary and community services, a pharmacy, outpatients services for older people and diagnostics. There will be a focus on supporting people with long term conditions – asthma, diabetes, coronary heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

The SWLHP and Fulcrum team negotiated the disposal of the hospital’s former car park, to McCarthy and Stone, a supported care provider specialising in housing for the over 75s.  They are building a new care home and this deal secured a large capital sum for the NHS which helped reduce the cost of the new health building.  The GPs are very supportive of this use as it will complement one of the key priorities of the health centre, namely support for older patients to reduce their need for hospital treatment.

The project team has had the active support of the clinical community and local residents have been engaged through a series of consultation events actively supported by the MP and ward councilors.

Dr Martin Wake, local GP and former joint chair of Merton Clinical Commissioning Group, said “lack of space in our surgery places real limitations on ambitions to expand or develop services in any meaningful way. The move to the new Nelson Centre will lift many of those barriers allowing us to provide a properly integrated primary care service that allows patients to access care under one roof within their own community.”

The building will be completed and handed over in January 2015. In environmental terms, it will be BREEAM excellent, meaning that it meets the highest environmental standards by incorporating a number of improvements including creating a small landscaped park.  Overall the project provides a first class example of combining an old, much loved, historically important buildings and 21st century healthcare.

The project value is £17.5m; Fulcrum’s parent company Meridiam will be funding 60% of the subdebt and the other 40% being equally split between Community Health Partnership and the former Sutton and Merton Primary Care Trust.  Debt funding is provided by Aviva.